Case Study | Theory of Roundness
Rounded objects are preferred by the human brain; their non-complexity brings an ease of understanding. We seem to be more easily attracted to and want to move towards curved features, as opposed to angular shapes.
American Designer Vladimir Kagan's chair
Photo by Cristina Gareau
Curvatures found in interior design improve our wellbeing. Roundness brings a sense of completeness—one end meets the other in a smooth appeasing transition. 1
“ A 2013 study, published in PNAS, found that participants were more likely to judge rooms as more beautiful if they were curvilinear rather than rectilinear and brain scans of the participants showed that the regions connected to emotional processing were activated more when participants were in the rounded rooms." 2
Some associate this brain attraction back to 40,000 years ago, where our brain has learned to repulse and be scared of angular shapes like the teeth of an animal but be appeased by smooth and rounded angles like a curvy body to mate with.
“ In 2007, scientists publishing in Neuropsychologia found that the presence of sharpness activated the amygdala — the part of the brain that processes threat. The amygdala’s response to curves, however, suggested they were less threatening.” 3
Love makes the world go round.
All year round.
Social c i r c l e : a group of people who are socially connected, impacting immensely our mental health.
How to make new friends 4:
- Be a good friend and be intentional about staying connected.
- Say yes to invitations
- Volunteer in your community.
- Join a local gym or sports league.
- Visit a neighborhood coffee shop or juice bar regularly.
- Take a class or learn a new skill through a community college or learning center.
- Visit neighborhood food, art and music festivals.
- Figure out what you like to do—and invite other to do it with you.
- Invite people over for coffee or dinner.
- Ask your friends to introduce you to their friends.
Our new collection Roulé, designed in collaboration with Olann Handmade and Cristina Gareau, might be something you are totally attracted to. A soft mohair hat and sweater combo with rolled edges that will make your brain waves happy,on the daily.